Thursday, May 13, 2010

Haiti? What?

The week after I sent out my newsletter my plans changed a little so I want to let you all know how God has worked it all out!

The Monday after spring break I got to hear my friends share about their spring break trip to Haiti. Their pictures were amazing, their stories, their videos, the people they met. I knew that God was doing something but I had no idea. My summer plans were made. Finalized. Done. End of story. ... or maybe not so much.

I started praying, asking God if this was right, if he wanted me to go to Haiti. Then I asked when. Fall made sense. That would be a great time, people wouldn't be going that much and the need would still be there. Fall was not was not the answer I got though.

I was so confused. How could this even work out? Not possible. I'm crazy.

So God told me to sit back and wait.
Then a friend that is going to Haiti May 15th called.

She sent out support letters and had already got all the money she needed when a friend sent her a check for the exact amount of the trip. They told her that if she already had the money for the trip to let someone else go with the money.

So three months ago I felt like God wanted me to go to a place where I don't speak the language, step out of my comfort zone. Two months ago I felt like God wanted me to give him the details and not worry about last minute changes, be flexible and willing. And a month ago, Haiti was not on my radar.


Now, I leave on Saturday morning at 4:30 to go to Jacmel, Haiti to work with the children who have experienced this tragedy. Going to show the love of Jesus to this community.


I'll leave Saturday and come home May 24th. Then I have a week till I go to Guatemala! I won't be able to update the blog while I am in Haiti but there will definitely be updates when I get back! If you want to see whats going on when we're in Haiti you can follow @phillong on twitter!

So thanks to all of you who are supporting me and my trips this summer and don't forget how much I value your prayer! Hope to update you soon!



p.s.:photos by martha ellen gunn :)